Flashback Friday: Rumba

Friday, March 6, 2015

I was looking through the archives of my old blog, Aimless Reverie, this morning and I started getting super nostalgic. I want to say it brought me back to the best year of college ever (because it was in it's own way), but in reality all four years were the best years I've ever had! I also started to reminisce at my thought process over certain posts. I put so much thought into each post and they were actually pretty personal - which I really want to get back to. 

There are a couple posts I don't want to lose so I'm going to bring a couple back, starting with my first journey with the Guide Dog Foundation. You may remember I spoke briefly about her when I wrote about Mambo, but I want to share my story of Rumba.

Now, a quick update before we get to the story: Rumba moved up to New York shortly after this post. She moved in with a wonderful family, and has already had a litter of beautiful babies. Some are even in New York City being trained!! I'll be going to a meeting or two with GDF later this month, so I'll get to see the little munchkins. I'm beyond overjoyed. Maybe I'll even be able to take a short day trip to Long Island to see my sweet girl. 

11.15.13 | Growing Up Guide Dog:



Most of you know (but some may not) that for the past year I've been raising a future guide dog with The Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, Inc. It has been a crazy year with ups and downs, but I can honestly say this has been one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever been apart of. Since she was 7 weeks old Rumba has gone everywhere with me. I've become used to "I know I'm not allowed to pet it," and "Aw, look at that face," and "How can you give it up, I could never do it." All that has just become part of the territory that I was always prepared to shrug off.

One thing that I don't think I was ever prepared for though was the day that I actually have to give her up. Most of my closest friends and family know, but her time has come to move to New York. Rumba will be a breeder which is why she will be going up earlier than her siblings. I have been upset, angry, happy, relieved, and silent when people ask about it since I found out a couple weeks ago. I even broke down crying in the middle of the grocery store when someone said "how hard it must be to give her up one day." However, I know she will taken wonderful care of and will have beautiful pups. 

I'll miss this sweet girl. 



No comments

Post a Comment