Happiest of Birthdays

Wednesday, February 10, 2016


I hate birthdays. Doesn't everyone? We usually get our hopes up to just get let down.

That's why this year I didn't set any expectations for myself. Dave and I coincidentally have the exact same birthday, so I assumed we'd have a low-key dinner the night before our birthday and then go out with friends on our birthday night. Allow me to recap my weekend...


First of the celebrations? Dinner at Gallagher's Steakhouse where his angelic mother treated us to our first steaks in months. We were surprised with mini chocolate and strawberry cakes and a very off key rendition of Happy Birthday from the waiters. I got really red, and almost cried.


As I said, I expected a low-key dinner with just Dave the night before the celebration with friends. The night before our birthday was the last night of Restaurant Week in the city, and I have been dying to go to Michael Jordan's Steakhouse. Maybe I was just dying to eat inside the Grand Central main terminal - no one will ever know. 

Those of you that don't know what restaurant week is, a slew of top restaurants in New York feature a 3 course lunch or dinner menu for $38! Score one for early February birthdays.

Dinner was fantastic, and his mom ended up finding out where we were eating and sent us a dessert wine with a note from the host wishing us a Happy Birthday. I cried. And everyone around us thought he was proposing.



The next morning my two best friends showed up to my door with mimosas, huge 2 & 4 balloons, and ChicFilA breakfast. I cried again.

The day went on, we shopped, and we ran around the city. Before dinner I got a knock on my door - a flower delivery from my group of girlfriends from Georgia. Yep - cried again.

We had a small dinner at my favorite spot, Meatball Shop, with the best friends. Afterwards a "few" (aka 20) of us met up before the initial party, and I found out that I had somehow unknowingly convinced a friend to make my favorite party treat (**cough cough** Jell-O shots). 

After was the party at Favela Cubana where friends from mine and Dave's fraternity and sorority, school, work, and friends of friends celebrated into the night!

I guess I don't hate birthdays after all... Thanks to everyone that made it so special! I love you all.

No comments

Post a Comment