Lessons from an Angel

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Jeffrey Pickett and then Rebecca "Becky" Crews, 1960s

To my beloved grandmother,

You were the family rock, anchor, and base. You live within us all - you taught us everything we know. You were the epitome of a southern lady. Thanks to you I know how to set a proper dinner table our and Carrie's tea parties, which fork to use, and correct table manners including (but not limited to) "it's snowing" aka put your napkin in your lap, "Thank you for dinner. It was very good. May I please be excused?" and then going to the kitchen to get a head start on cleaning up.

You were the first person who refused to call me anything but Kate. You told me Kate was a woman's name, and as soon as I graduated high school those childish days were behind me. You always expected the best out of me. And because of this I expect the most out of others as well (which I can't ever decide if that's a blessing or a curse).

One could bet that we would get a thank you note from you for everything, and I mean everything whether that was thank you for a gift, stopping by, or simply a thank you note for writing a thank you note. And if you didn't receive a thank you from one of us you had the best way of making us feel guilty.

I always wondered how you kept the cleanest house and stayed sane about it. Everything always had to be just-so. Now that you are with the Lord I'm sure you're getting onto him for his mess as well, and I'm sure he's probably getting just as irritated as we always were. Because of this I'm a little more well-kept.

You taught me how to appreciate a good glass Pino Grigio or Chardonnay. And even if that wine was out of a box you should never be ashamed (just as long is it's not for a special occasion). I could always count on shooting you a text when I was trying to be fancy and pair wine with food and finding a text saying, "You can never go wrong with a good white." Because of you people think I'm such a wino, which is probably the reason I received four wine bottle openers last Christmas (one of them thanks to you).

You were the family grammar nazi and constantly made fun of (or got onto) me for saying "like" about, like, 25 times in a single conversation even if I was already upset about something. Because of this I have left most of my thick country accent behind because you would spend much time trying to teach me to slow down my words and enunciate.

The list could go on and on with the lessons you taught us and the laughs we shared. You were one special lady in my heart, and you will always be our "Gecky".

You will forever be with us.

Honor her for all her hands have done, and let her works bring praise at the city gate. (Proverbs 31:31)

No comments

Post a Comment